Top Five Healthy Food Trends for 2017
February 17, 2017
The health and fitness world is always changing, following both research and trends. And, each year, there is always more to learn. So, to keep you up-to-date, here are some of the top healthy food trends of 2017.
1) Plant-based Proteins – For a very long time, the realm of protein has been thoroughly dominated by animal-based products. Steadily, though, plant-based proteins have become more and more common. Along with being vegan-friendly, these unsung proteins are full of potent micronutrients which can help to support your overall well-being in numerous ways. Plus, plant proteins tend to be easier to digest then those sourced from animals. Expect to see more plant proteins show up in powders, bars and other health products.
2) The Ketogenic Diet – Low-carb diets have been around for decades now, but the more restrictive ketogenic diet has been a little slower to catch on. Still, more and more people are starting to turn to this dietary strategy to lose weight and even improve athletic performance. By keeping your daily carb intake to less than 50g, ketogenic diets train your body to run on fat rather than carbs for fuel. As a response to this rise in popularity, more and more low-carb options will become available.
3) Savory Snack Bars – Although snack bars have been around for a long time, they’re traditionally sweet. And often bear a close nutritional resemblance to candy. A shift is starting, however, in which these bars take on more savory flavors. Apart from just changing the taste, though, this adjustment also speaks to the low-sugar efforts of so many people.
4) Bedtime Smoothies – Generally reserved for before or after workouts, smoothies can also be an extremely useful bedtime snack. Based on research surrounding the sleep-boosting effects of foods like tart cherry, more and more people will start sipping on a smoothie before retiring for the evening. This can also easily tie in with the practice of drinking casein protein before bed, common among bodybuilders.
5) Anti-inflammatory Foods – As science becomes more aware of the far-reaching impact that inflammation can have on the human body, impacting everything from cognitive function to immune health, people are making more efforts to reduce these complications. And many foods can help in this regard. Specifically, plant-based foods – which are high in anti-oxidants and other micronutrients – will become more desirable for their ability to calm inflammation.